Home Hospice Care:
A Loving Choice Honoring
Wishes with Dignity
The final stage of life presents terminally ill individuals, their families and caregivers
with many new and difficult challenges. At the same time, there are opportunities for
compassion, growth and understanding unmatched at any other stage of life. We can help with
end-of-life decision making and achieving a death that is consistent with your values and expressed
desires. Consider hospice care if:
- Your physician has determined an illness is terminal
- Death is likely to occur within six months
- Aggressive treatment has been replaced by comfort care
For more information, see our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) section.
Comfort, Care, Compassion
Our hospice care professionals are experienced in every aspect of these types of care, from guiding the patient’s smooth transition from hospital to home to providing comfort care with respect and compassion. VNS provides a complete system of care and support for those facing the end of life.
We bring comfort to you and your loved ones in your home, wherever that may be, including skilled nursing facilities, comfort care homes, hospitals or the Leo Center for Caring. We offer a full range of homecare services to help you through this difficult time, including:
- A dedicated nurse and social worker for each patient
- A full array of pain and symptom management
- Coordination of medications, medical equipment and medical supplies
- Inpatient care, as appropriate
- Help with personal care, errands, and transportation
- Respite and spiritual care, counseling, support groups, and bereavement services
- Specially trained volunteers
Trust Your Care to Our Hospice Team
We offer a team approach that meets the varied and changing needs of terminally ill patients and their families. Specially chosen for their sensitivity and experience, our team includes:
- Medical Director
- Advanced Oncology Certified Nurse Practitioner
- Clinical Nurse Specialists
- Physical, Occupational and Speech Therapists
- Medical Social Workers
- Home Health Aides
- Pastoral and Counseling Professionals, including a dedicated bereavement coordinator
- Carefully selected volunteers
We Honor Veterans
To ensure each and every veteran within VNS hospice receives the proper care and a hero’s welcome home in their last days, we partnered with We Honor Veterans, a program of the National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization and Veterans Affairs.
During a formal pinning that publically acknowledges military service and sacrifices, each veteran is given a certificate, a pin and an American flag blanket. A staff member reads formal words of appreciation and ceremonially places the blanket’s stars over the veteran’s heart. The Rochester Democrat and Chronicle published a front page article about our program on Memorial Day 2013 and can be found here. A heartwarming video also accompanied the story. Watch it below.
We not only honor the veterans we serve, we provide for their special needs. Due to combat, many face unique health risks from a variety of hazards, including exposure to psychological trauma, chemical agents, and illnesses that are not common in the U.S. Our professionals have special training that enables them to understand and address these medical concerns.
Through this program, VNS has also made many connections within the community and collaborates with organizations to meet non-medical needs of patients and their families. For example, we can connect patients and their loved ones to the Veterans Administration to uncover benefits and direct families to organizations that arrange burials at sea and in national cemeteries.
Patient Services: Billing and Insurance for Hospice Care
The level of care may vary depending on your insurance and policy:
- Third-party insurance
- Health Maintenance Organizations (HMOs) like Excellus BCBS or MVP
- Medicaid, Medicare, and many other health insurance plans
Our Patient Service Representatives are happy to assist you with your questions or insurance issues, and help you plan for the financial aspects of hospice care. We will confirm eligibility under your specific plan. Please call our Patient Account Representatives at 585.787.2233.
Download a Referral Fax Form, complete it and fax back to us at 585.787.9723.
If you would like more information about Visiting Nurse Hospice, call 585.787.8315.