A Caring Spirit
Losing a loved one isn’t easy to prepare for or accept. We’re available to provide you or your family
with as much or as little assistance before or after a loved one has died, at no cost. Our Bereavement
Program is an extension of our hospice care and helps address feelings of loss, grief or sorrow through:
- Individual or group support
- Community referrals to trained bereavement professionals as needed
- Special programs and services, such as education or training
- Quarterly letters
- The Evening of Remembrance held annually to honor loved ones
Trained bereavement volunteers that offer massage, Reiki, energy work, spiritual
care and who provide regular supportive phone calls
- New Six Week Group for Parents and Children (2180 Empire Blvd., Webster, NY 14580) Held Thursdays starting February 27, 2014 through April 3, 2014 from 6:00 - 7:00pm. Facilitated by Allison DeMay-Byron, LMSW and Michele Allman, LMSW, VNS Bereavement Coordinator. This group provides support to both children and their parents or guardians. Children will have opportunities to participate in activities that nurture the expression of grief, healing, and learning about both the joy and pain that comes from deeply caring for other people. Adults will meet separately to discuss caring for oneself as a vital part of caring for grieving children, while helping children navigate the difficult adjustments of grief. Register with Michele Allman, Bereavement Coordinator, at (585) 787-2233 x8241 by February 20.
- Visiting Nurse Service (2180 Empire Blvd., Webster, NY 14580) Held Tuesdays at 11:00 a.m. Facilitated by Michele Allman, LMSW, VNS Bereavement Coordinator. This group provides support to anyone who has experienced a death of a loved one.
- Memorial AMC Zion Church (549 Clarrissa St, Rochester, NY 14608) Held 1st Thursday of each month at 6:00p.m. Facilitated by Carolyn Lester. This group is specifically for adults who have experienced a loss including a death of a family member. It is open to the community as well as the congregation of this church.
- Newman House (96 Adams St., Brockport, NY 14420) Held on the 1st and 3rd Fridays of each month at 11:00 a.m. Facilitated by Michele Allman, LMSW, VNS Bereavement Coordinator. This group provides support to anyone who has experienced a death of a loved one. **In the event that Brockport School District closes due to bad weather, this group will also be cancelled.**
- Elmgrove United Methodist Church (1500 Spencerport Rd., Rochester, NY 14606) Held each Thursday at 6:30 p.m. Facilitated by Nina Hurd. This group provides support to anyone who has experienced the death of a loved one.
Please call Michele Allman, LMSW, at 585.787.2233, ext. 8241, for any questions or to make reserverations. One to one supportive counseling is also available.