and Lung Care Program
VNS Heart and Lung Care combines the best of both preventive and rehabilitative care
for those living with heart or lung disease — all in the comfort of their home.
Our highly trained and experienced nurses ensure you receive the necessary physician ordered care,
from assessing your status to caring for post-operative wounds. We also provide education for disease
self-management with a focus on heart-healthy living, a personalized activity program, and support for you
and your family during the recovery process. Together our team provides:
- RN Case Managers with advanced training
- A care plan designed just for you based on the stage and severity of your illness
- Assessment, teaching and monitoring of medication
- Symptom and disease management for heart failure, cardiac surgery, COPD and pneumonia
- Home infusions
- Oximeter testing
- Point of care PT/INR testing
- Cardiac, pulmonary, and vascular assessment, including EKGs
- Monitoring through our Telehealth Services Program
- Falls prevention, education
- Wound care, ostomy and incontinence management
- Diabetes education and care
Professional Care Delivered with Heart
Advantages of the VNS Team Approach
Home health care services are provided by specially trained community health nurses, physical and occupational therapists, medical social workers, a clinical dietitian, and home health aides (if recommended by your clinical assessment). Oversight is provided by an advanced-practice RN, available for in-home consultations.
Our team works closely and communicates as often as needed with your physician, surgeon or specialist to ensure a safe transition from the hospital to your home, providing:
- Assessment and care of your health conditions
- Information and instruction on equipment and systems, with a specific focus on cardiac and respiratory care
- Individualized exercise training that emphasizes safe exercise techniques
- Review of risk factors for heart/lung conditions, along with suggested lifestyle modifications
- Nutrition and stress management
You will benefit from this program if you have had or have any of these conditions:
- Atrial Fibrillation
- Cardiac Surgery
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD)
- Heart Failure
- Coronary Artery Disease
- Heart Transplant
- Valve Replacement
- Other heart or lung disorders/procedures
How to Obtain a Referral
Based on your individual needs, your physician will make a homecare referral. You may inform your hospital nurse or physician about your preference in using Visiting Nurse Service. Our Homecare Coordinator will arrange for your post-hospital homecare plan. Referrals are accepted seven days a week by calling our Intake Department at 585.787.2233.
The cost of services may be covered by Medicaid, Medicare, HMOs and private insurance companies and will be verified before admission.
VNS provides personalized, insightful and thoughtful attention to your needs to add to your comfort and speed of recovery. We can assist you in finding other available community services through our network of organizations when necessary.